We all need to make sure we get lots of healthy, nourishing fat into our diets. We were led astray for so many years with the whole low-fat is better message. In fact, the right fats can help you lose weight, improve your health and feel vibrant!
Fat is one of the body’s basic building blocks. We need fat for energy, cell growth, healthy skin, brain and nerve function, transporting vitamins and to make hormones. While some fats are harmful – like trans fats & highly refined seed and vegetable oils – the other fats including some saturated fats are very good for us and we need to include them more often in our diets. Good sources of fats include olives and extra virgin olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, fatty fish like wild caught salmon, grass fed beef, ghee and coconut oil.
This olive tapenade recipe is one of my summertime favourites. I often have it on-hand in the fridge for a quick, healthy snack. It tastes fabulous with vegetables or on a seed cracker. And it gets even better after sitting in the fridge for a few hours as the flavours come out.
- 2 cups olives pitted
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup basil
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- Add the olives, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and lemon juice to a food processor or high speed blender. Pulse/mix to blend the ingredients. Scrape down the sides periodically. The dip will have some texture at this point.
- With the processor running, slowly pour in 2-3 tbsp of olive oil until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for 7-10 days.